Friday, November 4, 2011

Being Pretty Woman is not as Glamorous as it seems

I LOVE HALLOWEEN! I'm not sure exactly where it ranks in my top three favorite holidays since it's pretty much tied with Christmas and MY BIRTHDAY (yes, May 13 is a holiday-feel free to celebrate). This year for Halloween, I decided to be Julia Roberts from Pretty Woman- not one of the fancy versions, but the street walker version:
It only took a trip to Hobby Lobby, Forever 21 and Goodwill and I had the pieces of my costume together. Now I wasn't a dead ringer, but it came out pretty much exactly as I wanted:
Friday, the 28th, we went on our second annual bar crawl in Uptown Charlotte (so much fun) and while leaving bar #3 for bar #4, my thigh-high 4.5 inch heeled boots betrayed me. Truth be told, I think it was equal parts heels, steepness of stairs, the fact we were being herded down them so quickly, and perhaps a dash of alcohol. Either way, I fell down the stairs. OK, I rolled my ankle and fell down two or so stairs, but my butt hit the ground, that constitutes falling. Since I tore over half of my nail off on the way down, I was more concerned about my bleeding finger and didn't immediately realize how badly I was hurt, thought it was just twisted, walk it off. So I did just that- walked it off right to bar #4. It was only after I got my finger bandaged, and the pain of actually being able to see that injury subsided, that I realized my ankle was on the verge of busting the zipper of my shoe. Time to go home. I iced my ankle while we waited on our pizza to be delivered, took some ibuprofen and went to bed. I woke up at 8:30 to a throbbing golf ball in my ankle and made a beeline to the orthopedic urgent care. I'd like to pause to let everyone know that the OrthoCarolina University is hands down, THE best urgent care I have ever been to. I literally waited two minutes in the waiting room and was seen quickly once back. Every single person I dealt with from the front desk, to the x ray tech, doctor, and everyone in between was professional, showed genuine concern, and had great bed side manner. Luckily, nothing was broken. Unfortunately, three torn ligaments from my foot to ankle + a pulled ligament from my ankle to knee = boot for 4-6 weeks and crutches. For anyone who has never had the absolute pleasure of getting around on crutches (which was me until the fateful fall), one day on them is a day too long. I'm on day seven, can anyone tell me how to get up stairs?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind and I will too.